Carterette Series Webinars
From GLA MediaWiki
Highlighting Trends, Innovation, and Best Practices in Libraries
Return to Professional and Continuing Education Interest Group
CSW would like to extend special thanks to the Georgia Public Library Service for providing access to the WebEx host software.
- "There is one Internet. It must be fast, robust and it must be open. The prospect of a gate keeper choosing winners and losers on the Internet is unacceptable...." – FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler
- The above quote addresses what, until now, has been a given - that with an Internet connection, anyone has access to all information available via an Internet Service Provider. That changed in January 2014 when a major court decision stripped the FCC of its power to enforce network neutrality protections, providing an opening for telecom companies to begin exploiting technologies by monitoring and controlling data sent via their networks. In this webinar co-coordinated with the GLA Governmental Relations Committee, Emily Almond, Director of Information Technology for the Georgia Public Library Service, will explore the implications of the current state of net neutrality, including taking a look at the following questions:
- Should libraries be concerned and why?
- What actions are recommended by ALA and other libraries?
- How do librarians take action on issues like this? What is appropriate?
- Is there anything specific to Georgia that we should be concerned about?
- No one knows if these changes are a cause for alarm or if we're just being alarmist, but it can't hurt to stay informed and to be on the lookout for changes to come. This is intended to be a discussion, not a lecture, so bring your expertise and questions!
- Emily Almond has been a librarian in the Atlanta area for 17 years. Her specialties include library systems, open-source software development, strategy development, web usability and broadband networks for libraries. She has been a librarian at CNN, Emory University, and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, and she is currently the Director of IT for the Georgia Public Library Service.
Please visit our archived sessions page to find recordings of previous Carterette Series Webinars.
About the Carterette Series Webinars
The Carterette Series Webinars was named to honor one of our founding members, Pat Carterette.
In June of 2010, members of the Georgia Library Association and the Georgia Public Library Service launched this bi-monthly educational webinar series. The series highlights trends, innovation, and best practices in libraries. The free sessions are open to interested parties from all geographic (and astral) locations. Topics are chosen to be of interest to students and employees from all library types, and each session is approved for one Georgia Continuing Education (CE) contact hour.
Like us on Facebook! We like to be liked.
Want to say lovely things about us on Twitter? Don't forget to add the #carterette hashtag to your tweets so we'll see them and get all misty.
Contact the Planning Team
For assistance or more information, please contact a member of our planning team.