|Events > 2013 GLA Library Photo Contest and 2014 Calendar
2013 GLA Library Photo Contest and 2014 Calendar
Deadline to receive photos, releases, captions is June 20, 2013.
The library photos from all types of libraries in Georgia are eligible. We will not accept any photos of animals, not matter how cute, even if they live at the library, unless they are part of a library program. Photos of programs, readers, displays, structures, and library buildings are all welcome. Remember to make sure that the pictures are appropriate for all age groups.
The winning photos will be included in a GLA calendar that will be available for sale at the GLA booth at COMO 2013. Depending on the number of pictures and the different types we hope to have a collage of pictures for each month.
All photos must be a minimum size of 4-by-6 inches with a minimum resolution of 180 pixels per inch. Larger sizes and higher resolutions are welcome, but the maximum acceptable file size is 10 MB. One entry per person is allowed. Each photo must be submitted separately in JPEG format to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on on Thursday, June 20, 2013. A panel of judges will select the winners following the contest’s end. Winners will be notified by email. The winners will be announced and the winning photos will be featured In the GLQ Winter 2014 issue.
Suggested photo opportunities are:
- Library user reading, any age
- Technology use in libraries
- Library-sponsored or Friends-sponsored event
- Library advocacy/support in action
- Library employee, friend, or volunteer
- Exterior photo of a library
- Interior photo of a library
- Photos from different times of the year for the different months
Judges will select one photo from the category winners as "best overall" and GLA will award its photographer with the grand prize of $100 and the photo will be put on the front cover of the calendar.
Photo Contest Rules
- Open to all Georgia library staff and GLA members.
- Five photo entries per person are allowed.
- All photos must be a minimum size of 4-by-6 inches with a minimum resolution of 180 pixels per inch. Larger sizes and higher resolutions are welcome, but the maximum acceptable file size is 10 MB.
- Each photo must be submitted separately in JPEG format to email@example.com by June 20. The e-mail to which the photo is attached MUST contain the following information:
- Full name, mailing address, phone number and e-mail address of the photographer
- Description of photograph, to include location where it was taken and, if applicable, name of event and the names (and ages, if under 18) of all persons who are recognizable in the photograph
- Photographer’s statement that any and all recognizable individuals pictured in the submitted photograph have signed the GLA photo release form and that any and all of those releases will be submitted to GLA upon request during the judging phase of the contest. No winning entries will be considered valid until all associated photo releases have been provided. Failure to do so will result in disqualification.
- A panel of judges will select the winner, judged "Best Overall," during the weeks following the contest's end. Winner will be announced before the calendar is published and presentation of the award and certificate will be during the Authors' Reception at COMO 2013. Announcement will also be provided via the Georgia Library Association's Web site at http://gla.georgialibraries.org and published in an upcoming issue of Georgia Library Quarterly.
- Judging criteria will be based on composition, creativity and the ability to capture the spirit of Georgia libraries. All decisions of the judges will be final.
- By submitting your photo, you grant all sponsoring organizations — Georgia Library Association (GLA) the right to exhibit and/or reproduce the photograph at their discretion.