The application period for the Beard and Hubbard Scholarships is now open!
The Hubbard Scholarship is a one-time $3,000 award presented each year with the purpose of recruiting excellent librarians for Georgia and to provide financial assistance toward completing a Master’s degree in library science. It is made possible by the family and friends of Mr. C. S. Hubbard, an early supporter of libraries in Georgia.
The Beard Scholarship is a one-time $1,500 award is presented each year. The purpose of this scholarship is to provide financial assistance toward completing a Master’s degree in library science for candidates who show strong potential to inspire and motivate their peers in the profession and in professional associations. It’s made possible by friends and colleagues of the late Charles Edward Beard who served libraries and the library profession for almost 40 years with distinction and dedication.
The recipient of either award must:
- Be completing the senior year in an accredited college or university or be a graduate of such an institution.
- Be accepted or enrolled as a student in a master’s degree program at a library school accredited by the American Library Association. Students who have already begun their programs are eligible to apply for both scholarships.
- Be ready to begin the program of study not later than the fall term of the year in which the scholarship is awarded.
- Indicate an intention to complete degree requirements within three years.
- Maintain a passing grade average throughout the program and submit grade reports to the committee chair at the end of each term.
- Agree to work for one year following graduation from library school in a library-related capacity in Georgia, or agree to pay back a prorated amount of the award plus interest. Repayment must be made within a two year period.
Applicants will be considered both scholarships, with a winner chosen for each. The Scholarship Committee will review all complete applications received by the deadline of May 15, 2020.
Read more about the awards, including how to apply, on the GLA Scholarships page here.