We began the year with the GLA Mid-winter Conference on January 11, 2013 at Clayton State University in Morrow, GA. I had a great time and I heard good comments from everyone. We did not schedule a speaker for the morning time slot, but used that time to discuss projects for the upcoming year. Attendees were given the opportunity to say “yea” or “nay” about the ideas. Everyone seemed to approve the ideas and many offered suggestions, so we are beginning the planning process for several events. We ended the session with a grab bag of prizes for everyone in attendance. Everyone was given a ticket and all cheered for each winner. The prizes were cheap, but it was a lot fun! The divisions, committees, and interest groups met during the late morning and after lunch. There is still room for more people to join the teams and have a part in creating an association that meets the needs of the members.
The list of events for the year is:
• Library Day, February 14, 2013, 10:00am to 1:00pm at the Capitol. Gathering in Room 123 of the Capitol building and delivering the matted prints to the legislators’ offices. No refreshments available.
• Executive Board Meeting, March 22, 2013 at Agnes Scott College
• Tour de Cure, May 11, 2013, Fundraising bicycle ride for Diabetes in Atlanta. If we have enough volunteers we can ride as a team, however, there is a $200 minimum donation to ride per person. http://main.diabetes.org
• Photo Contest – start taking pictures now through June of your libraries or programs. No photos of animals, even if they live in the library, please. Winners will be put in a calendar for 2014 which will be sold at the GLA booth at COMO 2013.
• Picnic in July – firm arrangements have not been completed, but the plan is to have a GLA picnic in middle Georgia in mid-July for FUN. We’re hoping to find a State Park or other area with a covered picnic area and restrooms close by. Let me know if you have any ideas. The meat will be provided and everyone will bring a side or dessert. We’ll need registration forms completed so the proper amount of meat is available.
• The final event is COMO 2013 in Macon, Georgia on October 9- 10-11, 2013. We have lots of areas for volunteers to help create a great conference. Send in a proposal for a presentation of the great work that you’re doing; volunteer for the scholarship booth, the Poster Sessions, or the Authors’ Reception. It should be a wonderful time.
The entire year we’ll be working on a Strategic Plan for GLA 2014-2016 to help the membership work together on a common mission with common goals and objectives. You will probably receive a survey during the next few months to help gather opinions from the membership for the plan. Please give your opinions and suggests.
Thanks so much and feel free to contact me for more information or questions and comments.
Diana J. Very, MPA, MLIS