By Ann Williams
The Roberts Memorial Library opened its doors in 1965 and was named after Dr. Lucien E. Roberts, the president of Middle Georgia College from 1950-1964. The college’s original library was housed in Walker Hall and later was moved to Sanford Hall at the Cochran campus, before making its permanent home in the new three story building. An addition to the Roberts Memorial Library was completed in 1991.
The most recent renovation planned for completion in several phases beginning in May 2015 was concluded in January 2021. The Roberts Memorial Library’s recent renovation had a project budget of 5.08 million dollars and resulted in a two-story learning commons which features reorganized print book and multimedia collections, special collections consisting of local history and genealogical research items, additional options for high-tech individual and group study areas, and a variety of lounge and collaboration spaces. The renovated Roberts Memorial Library building is now home to:
- a first floor housing the School of Computing’s Department of IT offices, classrooms providing both lecture and computer labs, a 10 seat conference room, and the University Archives (containing items from Middle Georgia College, Middle Georgia State College, as well as Middle Georgia State University’s history)
- second and third floors connected by a grand staircase, and housing the Student Success Center, the Writing Center, more than 25 study rooms and alcoves, numerous general open study areas, the Roberts Café which serves Starbucks products, a 12 seat conference room, and work rooms for Tech Services and Library staff
The Roberts Memorial Library renovation also improved access to all floors of the building with improved ADA accessibility, a more centrally located elevator, new restrooms, and a sloped landscape entrance plaza guiding visitors to a variety of entrance points to the building.
More details about Middle Georgia State University can be found at: https://www.mga.edu/ and more details about the Roberts Memorial Library at the Cochran campus can be found at: https://www.mga.edu/library