By Shannon Tyner, Virtual Librarian, Cobb Library
Cobb County Library system is using social media to push their digital and online resources. The day librarians got word that the libraries would be closing to the public, they created their “Use the Library from Home!” initiative. It includes graphics to share on social media, a dedicated page on the website, and an article that was pushed out to our subscribers. “Use the Library from Home!” promotes:
- digital resources for all ages including eBooks, eAudiobooks, digital magazines and newspapers, and streaming video;
- online databases including Lynda, Mango Languages, Gale Courses, and LearningExpress Library;
- Library PASS program. Library PASS is a partnership between us and Cobb County and Marietta City Schools in which all students can use their student number as a public library card;
- TutorATL. TutorATL provides on-demand, one-on-one tutoring services for free with a library card or Library PASS;
- Early Learning page which includes booklists and “storytime favorites” (nursery songs and fingerplays) videos for ages 0 – 5.
The library has also been posting Virtual Storytimes to Facebook and IGTV every weekday and plan to continue until the regular programs resume.
For the Spring Break the librarians have created a “Spring Break at Home” series for social media. Each weekday, they will share an activity (one for school age, one for tweens and teens) for students to do at home.
Learn more about Use the Library from Home! Initiative at http://www.cobbcat.org/use-the-library-from-home/